F-1 Student Visas

Your Trusted Philadelphia Immigration Attorney - (215) 649-7535

As a student, you may be seeking the prestigious educational opportunities that the U.S. has to offer, or you may be looking for an exciting place to spend a year studying abroad. A student visa is a necessary part of studying in the U.S., but the process to successfully obtain a visa can be full of twists and turns. Our Philadelphia immigration attorney is ready to help you take the first steps to achieving your dream of studying in the U.S.

Speak to a member of our legal team at the Law Office of Matthew Archambeault to learn how we can help.

Requirements for an F-1 Visa

If you hope to apply for a student visa, you must meet certain requirements. You will need to provide proof of these requirements with your application.

F-1 Visa Requirements:

  • You are a full-time student in a program that will provide a specific educational or vocational certification or degree upon completion.
  • You have already been accepted to a school which has been approved by the USCIS to accept foreign students.
  • You have sufficient knowledge of English to operate in the U.S.
  • You have financial support to allow you to complete your studies without earning additional income.

Once you have been accepted to a university, they will issue a document called an I-20, which confirms your admission into the program. This must be submitted with your visa application. You will also need to complete the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) unless you are from a country where English is an official language. An affidavit of support and other financial documents detailing your ability to cover expenses of one year of studies should also be submitted. Your immigration lawyer can help you submit the necessary documents to support your application.

The Benefits and Limitations of an F-1 Visa

A student visa allows you to study in the U.S., but it can also offer other opportunities to those who hold one. It allows you to work part-time on campus during the school year. You can also apply to work full-time off campus during summer breaks. After your degree has been completed, you can apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT), which will allow you to remain in the U.S. for an additional 12 months to begin employment. If you are in the science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) fields, you may be able to stay for 17 months. If you wish to transfer during your studies, you can do so by notifying the USCIS and going through the normal transfer process of the university.

The F-1 visa is not a dual intent visa, however, which means that you cannot be a student and intend to immigrate using the F-1 visa. If you have a green card petition that is pending, it will be far more difficult to get a student visa.

Get Help from Our Philadelphia Immigration Attorney - (215) 649-7535

The visa process can be a challenge, but the Law Office of Matthew Archambeault is here to provide you with the support and experience you need. Our Philadelphia immigration attorney will take the time to talk with you about your options and explain what choices can help you receive your visa more quickly. Let us help you take your next steps with confidence.

Schedule a free case evaluation with our legal team. Contact our offices by dialing (215) 649-7535.

Take the First Step Today

Reach Out to Our Firm